Saturday, October 18, 2008

Washing of the Feet...

I went to Parkway to meet a friend, A, her husband and her baby. She invited me to listen to what her church has to say about "Washing of the Feet". I met them for dinner at Parkway Parade. I met SH there as well as she needs to pass a thumbdrive of photographs to me to pass to another friend. She was late so we took a cab to my friend's church.

It was a dual-language service. Even the hymn that they sang was also dual-language. I was quite impressed.

When it comes to the sermon, I tried to be as open-minded as possible. I can't help but figure that I still truly believe what I believe.

To them, washing of the feet is a sacrament and it's a commandment from God.

As for my church, it's a ritual associated with the liturgy of Holy Thursday, the same day that celebrates in a special way the Last Supper of Jesus, before which he washed the feet of his 12 disciples.
(Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feet_washing)

The church also had a prayer session (5 minutes) where the church community prays in tongues. I, myself, has the gift of tongues and I already felt a bit uncomfortable during the prayer session. For a non-believer to attend such a prayer session, it could be quite a frightening and intimidating experience.

I did feel the hair on my arms "standing" during the prayer session but I didn't quite experience the same thing that I usually experienced at the usual mass. I just kept praying The Lord's Prayer, Holy Mary & Glory Be.

After the session, I hung around to talk to them about the topic and I have to read on my own to find more answers for my knowledge. I took a copy of the small booklet found on the table to read up.

Dear Lord, thank you for sending me to A's church to know more about you. It helps me to understand why people believe in you. Please help those who know you to be an effective instrument of love and help those who had misunderstood You to know more about You. Amen.

No comments: