Thursday, April 2, 2009

Contact with Friends...

I had a 3-hour break in my time-table today. I managed to email to my colleagues (close and not-so-close ones). The reason for having 2 separate groups because I did not want the kaypoh ones to know how I am doing in Brisbane. I am only an acquaintance to some of them, therefore, I felt that it’s better to keep my private life, well “private”.

Internet connection is up and I am glad because it’s after a month since I have moved in. Internet usage is based on quota limit and there's peak and off-peak usage (1am to 9am) too. Our current plan is 10Gb during peak hours and 100Gb during off-peak hours for $60. That’s quite reasonable when the connection is running on 54Mbps modem and internet connection is about 7 or 8Mbps. Therefore, it’s best to log on after 1am to chat with SG friends. There’s a time-difference of 2 hours back home.

Now it’s currently running that that supposedly speed and I am quite happy with the service. Well done, dodo! Be thankful that SG has unlimited usage (limitless downloads and uploads) anytime of the day.

The mid-semester break is just coming up (next week, after Easter). I may spend one day visiting Harbourtown with CC and friends. Like I said yesterday, LR also invited me to study in the library with her during the mid-semester break week. I am quite happy to do that but all my textbooks are at home. We’ll see how it goes then.For those who are keen to know what's happening to my faith. I have joined a Catholic group too (with the youths) and getting involved with its activities at the minimum now. I will be going for Penitential Service on Monday and then Easter Vigil mass on Saturday. It starts at 7pm and it's the baptism mass as well. After that, I will be attending a House Party (with lotsa food and drinks) with the Catholic community, to break fast for some of them. It will be an international night with display of national costumes. but I didn't bring any orchid-motifs tops, cheongsams or mandarin-collar tops here. Shucks... Anyway, will still go and enjoy myself at the party. I found out that there's a Canossian Retreat House in Brisbane but in another suburb. May go visit the place when I have more time on my hand.

There was a house party in my apartment 2 weeks ago. It was a Singaporean party with friends that I met here. It was also an advance birthday celebration for the mutual friend I met here (JS). It’s her 30th birthday. In fact, today’s the actual day.


By hanging out with SG friends, at least I know that I won't convert my Singlish slang to Aust slang so easily. I do tend to speak like the Aussies when I speak with them. It's automatic, I must say. Maybe assimilation of the tongue? Haha..

I have also gone for yum-cha (that's what they called it here. back home, we called it tim-sum) on Sunday with JS’s friends and some SG friends. It was great when we had a company of 12 as we got to order so many varieties and it was worth it. It's only $21 for a-la-carte lunch.

My housemate was all bundles of nerves last night while he was doing his revision. He has a 1-hour examination today. I had to be the tester while he went through the concepts. I hope he would be calm and does well.

No comments: