Saturday, June 13, 2009

Bread Pudding...

I made Bread Pudding yesterday for desserts. The recipe (found it online) says to bake for 30 minutes but I baked longer than that because the pudding was not set then. I also did not add as much sugar as what the recipe dictated. Instead, I added raisins so it made it sweet. It was perfect after baking. There were some moisture left in the pan after that but I guess it would dry up if I let it rest for 10 minutes.

Anyway, I shared some pudding with my my neighbours downstairs. One of them (L) said that he had not tried bread pudding since childhood days and I met him this morning, he said that it had brought back many memories for him. I was glad.

I set aside the remaining portion to have after dinner and it did not taste as nice. It could be that the moisture had been evaporated. The picture is the after-effect after I had shared with my neighbours. I forgot to take the picture earlier on.


The preparation time is about 1 to 1½ hour. The (modified) recipe is as follows:

Ingredients:
  • 1 3/4 cups milk, scalded and still hot
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup cold milk
  • 3 slices of stale bread, torn into pieces
  • 1 teaspoon of nutmeg powder
  • 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder
  • handful of raisins (optional)

Directions
  1. Warm 1 3/4 cups milk. Turn stove off when warm and stirs in butter to melt in pot.
  2. Set aside until cool or lukewarm
  3. Heat oven to 170 degrees Celsius, fan-forced.
  4. Beat eggs well, add sugar, cold milk and stir in spices, in a separate bowl.
  5. Butter baking dish and add bread.
  6. Mix cold bread mixture with egg mixture
  7. Pour into buttered baking dish.
  8. Top with raisins if desired.
  9. Set to bake 45 minutes or until pudding has set and is turning golden brown.
  10. Serve warm.

2 comments:

Vee said...

oooiii... this is one of my favourite desserts.. will try your cooking when you're back.. *winks*

sporty tangee said...

Sure! If your place has an oven, I will surely go baked it for you.