I was received at the airport by the UQ Staff and was sent to the Somewhere To Stay. It was the cheapest accommodation that was offered and I had been staying there eversince I had arrived in Brisbane. Initially, I had only book for a bed for 4 days and who knows, I actually stayed there for almost 3 weeks! I stayed in a 4-bedder dorm (supposedly all female dorm) with attached bathroom and a fridge - Room 35. That's not too bad.
A few days after I had stayed there, a guy moved in and he's a fellow Singaporean. He has a SG friend too and they are primary school friends. Let's call him CC and JM for now. After that, I was told to shift to another dorm which is Room 31 and I found out that it was not a 4-bedder dorm and I requested to change to a 4-bedder room the next day. Then I was allocated Room 61 where I stayed for more almost 2 weeks. At the backpacker and after I had known CC and JM, we sometimes cooked our dinner together by sharing grocery. It's cheaper that way cos it would be about $4 per pax, instead of $8 per pax for dinner.
In the midst of staying there, I had to look for accommodation and yet had fun. Luckily, I met JS here so I didn't feel so lost. She also introduced me to her landlord and I sometimes hung out at her place for dinner. She also gave me tips to look for accommodation. I was at her place for Valentine's Dinner too. Wooh... My Valentine! Haa...
On 13th Feb, I viewed a unit in Fairfield and it's a 2-bedroom apartment. I quite liked it and there's a friendly neighbour. He had been staying there for 22 years. Wow! The agent nearly left but she saw me sitting at the steps so she came over to show me the unit. I decided to submit the application as soon as possible.
It was the first time I took the train and I was amazed that there's no gate at the train station. There's the ticketing machine and you are supposed to buy your own ticket. It's really based on trust. Of course, if you are found without a valid ticket, you will be fined heavily.
Life in Brisbane (House-Hunting Days) - Feb [Part I]



No comments:
Post a Comment