Saturday, April 4, 2009

Update Since Arrival at Brisbane (Feb) - Part III

More House-Hunting Days

I made friends with a Korean guy and a German gal at Somewhere to Stay. In that picture, we all discovered that JM has a very big head and he got that nickname since then on. Haaa... I also met 2 more Germans and 1 Canadian when I was in Room 61.

One guy from Singapore came onboard to Somewhere to Stay as well and he will be studying in QUT but came earlier to look for accommodation for himself and 2 other friends. He is RH.

I also made friend with a girl from Singapore. I was out house-hunting and met her at one of those occasions. She was also here alone and looking for accommodation for 2 other friends. She is LY.

In the midst of house-hunting, I had to attend the Jump Start Academic Programme which was one week before O-week. I also got to know YL at the Jump Start Programme.

I was told by my ex-classmate from NIE that he had a student coming over to UQ to study too. I made contact with him only 2 days before my departure. I found out that he had not looked for any accommodation yet so I kept him in mind when I was looking for a place to stay. Because of that, my accommodation was not settled earlier. The agent at FF could not lease out the place to me earlier because she felt that I might not be financially sound. That's why I had to wait for him to be in Brisbane before anything else could be processed. His name is M.

By then LY's lease with the temporary accomodation had expired and had no place to stay so I invited her to stay with me at Somewhere To Stay. By then, CC and JM had signed the lease to their place but there was no electricity so they could not move in. We made a pact that whoever has gotten a place first, we would all move there but it was not so possible then.

The next day after M had arrived, we made our day to Ikea and Gold Coast. Ikea is 45 minutes away from city (near to where we stayed) and Gold Coast is 60 minutes away so we visited both on the same day. On our way there, we visited the Eagle Pier Market, Brisbane Market and Versace Hotel. It was interesting. In fact, we rented a car and I drove from Brisbane to Gold Coast. I discovered that my parking sucks. I always forget to turn the steering wheel back to the right after I turned it 2 rounds to the left.

O-week began in uni on 23rd Feb and on Wednesday, there was market day. It was indeed interesting and an eye-opener. Nice!

We also got introduced to a Vietnamese Restaurant called TRANG at West End. The food's quite good and its price is reasonable too. We had also explored Japanese Food at Sunnybanks. It was introduced to us by M's friend - Steph.

M and I would be housemates and we finally went to get the document signed on Thurs, 26th Feb. On the very next day, we shifted into the unit. On Sat, we stayed home to clean the house and it was indeed fit for living now.

On Friday night, we got to go out to the city and enjoy the scenes and lights. We were invited to a church (Hope Brisbane) BBQ by Steph. The food's alright but I didn't like it when the leader mentioned about Bible when there's newcomers to the group.



Life in Brisbane (House-Hunting Days) - Feb [Part II]

No comments: